The Director of Production serves in a leadership position reporting directly to the Executive Director and oversees the management of Butler Arts & Event Center production planning and execution. The Butler Arts & Event Center includes five performing arts venues comprised of Clowes Memorial Hall, Schrott Center for the Arts, Shelton Auditorium, Lilly Hall Studio Theatre, Eidson-Duckwall Recital Hall. Additionally, this position oversees the use of Production Stagehands in other venues on campus. The Director of Production contributes to the strategic planning and direction of the organization.
General Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Key member of BAEC leadership team contributing to the strategic direction of the organization.
• Oversees full-time professional union stagehands, part-time stagehands, full and part-time production staff and student workers to operate all production/back of house needs in all performance venues and other spaces as needed.
• Oversees stagehand projects throughout performance facilities including front of house and other Butler university non-performance venues.
• Advances and oversees the advancement of shows production needs and riders.
• Works with catering show riders for crew needs, etc.
• Oversees the processes and vendors for production services and equipment.
• Manages departmental and show budgets as well as tracks expenses for payroll and show settlements.
• With the Executive Director, develops maintenance schedules and capital improvement plans for all performance facilities.
• Oversees all compliance and procedures for productions and creates Standard Operating Procedures.
• With the Executive Director, communicates with Stagehand Union Local 30 and others as needed to assure compliance and other negotiated elements of the agreement.
• Works closely with the Director of Operations for show planning and execution including event set-up/day of show communication, correspondence and meetings.
• Conducts and oversees annual performance reviews and goal setting.
Qualifications & Required Skills
• 4-8 years of stage production management
• Experience in managing multiple staff
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable professional experience
• CAD and/or technical production design experience desired
• Proficient in planning and understanding of technical stage production specifications
Reports to: Executive Director, Butler & Event Arts Center
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.