Associate Director of Development - College of Education
Job no: 494280
Work type: Staff Full-time
Associate Director of Development
Position Description, Duties, and Responsibilities, & Requirements
Butler University is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual for the role of Associate Director of Development in the Office of Advancement. We seek applicants with experience working with colleagues, community members and stakeholders from a variety of diverse backgrounds and with the interest and experience in supporting Butler’s mission through the generation of significant philanthropic support. A successful candidate will provide vision and leadership for the University and all related constituencies in accordance with the Advancement division and the University’s strategic plan. They will report to the Executive Director of Development and serve as a member of the Advancement team and a key contributor to the University’s fundraising initiatives. The position requires excellent collaborative skills to be applied with the Development Officers, other front-line fundraisers, and across departments.
The Associate Director is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors, specifically gifts of $50,000 and above to support the educational mission of Butler University. They are also responsible for maintaining a portfolio of 50 – 75 relationships with the expectation of raising significant resources for University initiatives with a minimum of 15 major gift proposals, 10 planned gift proposals, 15 annual fund asks, and 15 discovery visits annually and 9 - 11 contacts or visits monthly. In addition, the position will serve as the Lead Development Officer to Butler University’s College of Education.
Essential to this role will be the ability to develop strong working relationships with campus administrators including the President, Provost, Academic Deans, Athletic Director and other key University leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Advancement; Executive Director of Development, and other Advancement colleagues, develops the goals, strategies, and tasks associated with closing gifts of $50,000 + for Butler University. Responsible for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and/or stewarding a portfolio of 50 – 75 prospects within a collaborative and accountable infrastructure managed by Blackbaud Fundraiser Performance Management.
- In coordination with other Advancement partners, develops written proposals, gift agreements and other appropriate correspondence necessary to close and document new gifts and commitments.
- Works as a collaborative partner with colleagues in all Advancement departments to further the overall goals of University Advancement and Butler University.
- Exhibits effective and open communication with the Executive Director of Development, colleagues within Advancement, as well as Butler University’s leadership including the President, Provost, Executive Council, and Board of Trustees.
- Attends appropriate meetings and performs other related duties as required and deemed appropriate to effectively accomplish responsibilities of position.
- Travels as necessary locally, regionally and nationally to manage portfolio of prospects effectively and to assist with managing events.
- Represents Butler University with integrity and professionalism.
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years of professional and progressive experience is preferred; must have a demonstrated record of successfully closing major gifts; higher education experience is preferred. Candidates with fundraising and writing experience will be given strong preference. Education/experience equivalents considered.
- Commitment to and track record for superior customer service.
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and projects and prioritize accordingly.
- Understanding of philanthropy as it relates to higher education.
- Ability to use discretion in working with confidential and sensitive data.
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills with demonstrated attention to detail and ability to relate to individuals at varying levels internally and externally.
- History of success in developing and managing relationships with major donors, prospects, or clients.
- Computer software skills, including Microsoft Office is required, and knowledge of integrated client database systems is preferred.
- Professional in appearance, demeanor, and decision-making.
- Willingness/ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
As a condition of employment, Butler University requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff (subject to applicable law). COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement FAQs
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend