Director - Student Disability Services
Job no: 493967
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
The Director - Student Disability Services provides strategic vision and leadership for the department, oversees support
services for students with disabilities, helps to ensure the campus remains in compliance with all
applicable disability related legal mandates, works collaboratively with other constituents on
campus to ensure equitable access to people with disabilities, actively participates in various
campus-wide diversity initiatives, and acts as a disability consultant to all departments on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide management and direction regarding delivery of reasonable accommodations and support services for students with disabilities as well as campus partners who are working with those students. Oversee disability related programming for the campus community. Provide direct case management for complicated and conflictual compliance cases.
- Inform and advise campus community regarding legal responsibilities under ADA/Sec 504/ technological access mandates. Develop and disseminate policy and procedural documents for Student Disability Services (SDS).
- Provide leadership, vision and direct supervision to SDS staff members; oversee departmental operations.
- Act as a disability consultant to other divisions of the University and for special campus events such as Commencement, campus gatherings, public lectures, etc.
- Network with community and campus resources to enhance internship and future employment opportunities for students with disabilities.
- Provide support, information, and strategic direction in connection with the university’s diversity initiatives.
- Promote accessibility through leadership of the ADA Council, advocate for integration of accessibility within campus DEI initiatives, and serve as an advocate for accessibility within the academic division.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interpret various types of medical documentation
- Ability to make determinations about reasonable accommodations
- Strong understanding around the interpretation and application of legal mandates such as the ADA and Sec 504
- Understanding of assistive technology and mandates regarding technological/electronic compliance
- Effective communicator in both group and individualized situations
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data
- Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise a staff that works with diverse populations with broad and diverse needs
- Excellent communication skills including strong listening skills and conflict resolution abilities
- Ability to calmly work under pressure in the timely manner required
- Sensitivity in working with people with disabilities
- Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration, Psychology, Disability Studies, Social Work, or Counseling
- 5 years experience working in a clinical or educational environment
- 2 years supervisory experience
- 2 years experience working in the field of higher education
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend