Job no: 493790
Work type: Staff Full-time
Butler University is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual for the role of Development Officer in the Office of Advancement. A successful candidate will provide vision and leadership for fundraising related to all related constituencies in accordance with the Advancement Division and the University’s strategic plan. S/he will report to the Executive Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving and serve as a member of the Development Team and a key contributor to the University’s comprehensive campaign. The position requires excellent collaborative skills to be applied with the Development Officers, other front-line fundraisers, and across departments.
The Development Officer is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors, specifically gifts of $50,000 and above to support the educational mission of Butler University. S/he is also responsible for maintaining a portfolio of 50 – 75 relationships with the expectation of raising significant resources for University initiatives with a minimum of 8 face to face visits monthly.
Essential to this role will be the ability to develop strong working relationships with campus administrators including the President, Provost, Academic Deans, Athletic Director, and other key members of University leadership.
- In collaboration with the Vice President for Advancement; Executive Directors of Major Gifts & Planned Giving, Development & Campaign Programs, Alumni & Engagement Programs, Advancement Services, Annual Giving, Principal Gifts; and front line fundraisers, develops the goals, strategies, and tasks associated with closing gifts of $50,000+ at Butler University.
- Responsible for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and/or stewarding a portfolio of 50-75 prospects within a collaborative and accountable infrastructure.
- Develops written proposals, gift agreements, and other appropriate correspondence necessary to close and document new gifts and commitments.
- Works as a collaborative partner with colleagues in all Advancement departments to further the overall goals of University Advancement and Butler University.
- Exhibits effective and open communication with the Executive Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving, colleagues within Advancement, as well as Butler University’s leadership including the President, Provost, Executive Council, and Board of Trustees.
- Attends appropriate meetings and performs other related duties as required and deemed appropriate to effectively accomplish responsibilities of position.
- Travels as necessary locally and regionally to manage portfolio of prospects effectively and to assist with managing events.
- Represents Butler University with integrity and professionalism.
- Bachelor's degree is required, advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years of professional and progressive experience is required; must have a demonstrated record of successfully closing 5-, 6- and 7-figure gifts; higher education experience is preferred. Candidates with fundraising and writing experience will be given strong preference.
- Commitment to and track record of superior customer service.
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and projects and prioritize accordingly.
- Understanding of philanthropy as it relates to higher education.
- Ability to use discretion in working with confidential and sensitive data.
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills with demonstrated attention to detail and ability to relate to individuals at varying levels internally and externally.
- History of success in developing and managing relationships with major donors, prospects, or clients.
- Computer software skills, including Microsoft Office is required, and knowledge of integrated client database systems is preferred.
- Professional in appearance, demeanor, and decision-making.
- Willingness/ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Please follow application process below:
Application and completed support materials should be submitted as a single PDF to Jennifer Stringer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label the email and PDF with your last name and the position title (i.e., Eikenberry – Development Officer).
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend