Job no: 493781
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Human Resources
Responsible for the development, implementation, and administration of all benefits offered to Butler University Staff & Faculty. Manages the benefits & retirement staff members. Works in collaboration with the AVP of Human Resources to ensure the benefits & retirement plan offerings are compliant with local, state and federal regulations.
Reports to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources
- Lead the administration of the University’s benefits programs, coordinating all aspects of employee benefits to include, but not limited to: health insurance, dental, vision, long term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending account plans, leaves of absence and retirement savings plans.
- Lead the annual open enrollment cycle for benefits.
- Serve as benefits subject matter expert providing expertise for benefit program strategy, design, policy interpretation and implementation.
- Perform functional and transactional duties in the benefits area as needed, including system transactions, testing, audits and processing as needed.
- Interpret and apply federal and state guidelines, regulations and laws appropriately and in a manner that is consistent with University policies and procedures (COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, ACA, ADA, WC, etc.).
- Manages vendor relationships and may partner with consultants to identify program and process modifications as necessary.
- Serve as a hands-on manager providing oversight of daily work related to retirement programs, audit projects and reconciliations.
- Ensures benefit materials are available and properly communicated to employees.
- Effectively communicate complex information to faculty, staff and the public regarding benefits and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop, communicate and administer competitive total rewards strategies, including benefits, retirement, engagement, and work experience programs that are cost effective and consistent with labor market trends and organizational objectives.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental regulations related to benefits & retirement plan offerings.
- Provides leadership to and direct supervision of benefits and retirement team members through effective coaching and performance management.
- Finds solutions for issues and communicates options for resolution with AVP of HR that cannot be routinely handles by members of the benefits and retirement team.
- Oversees the review, communication and implementation of the annual benefit and retirement programs process - including collaboration with insurance committee, broker, and other key stakeholders.
- Oversees administration of all tuition programs.
- Assists Associate VP of HR with the planning, communication, and logistics of the annual health/wellness fair.
- Serves at the primary staff members for design, implementation, and administration of retirement programs.
- Serves as a functional leader assisting with operational tasks related to the benefits, wellness and retirement programs as needed.
- Serves as the division trainer for new and current staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of progressively responsible work experience in benefits administration.
- Compliance expertise regarding state and federal legislation.
- Advanced knowledge of HRIS software applications, with PeopleSoft required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Previous experience working in a secondary or higher education institution.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing multiple tasks and complex projects simultaneously is required.
- This position requires the highest level of confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy is necessary.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend