Assistant Director of Recreation & Wellness - Outdoor Recreation
Job no: 493771
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Health & Recreation
Butler University is seeking an Assistant Director to help lead and support a growing and vibrant Outdoor Recreation program based on the BU|BeWell student experience framework including high and low ropes courses, team challenges, equipment rental and inventory, weekend experiences and trips. Serving an active campus community, Outdoor Recreation is committed to experiential learning, exposing students, faculty and staff to the outdoors, and providing diversity and inclusivity training for all group leaders and trainers.
- Advance BU|BeWell through programs and services that promote a holistic student experience for participants. Provide leadership and oversight of a challenge course featuring high and low ropes, and climbing tower. Recruit, hire, and train student and part time staff
- Foster an inclusive environment that seeks to serve a diverse campus community through actively developing and implementing strategies and programs to engage under-represented populations.
- Provide pre-matriculation trip for incoming first year students along with weekend experiences and trips for all students throughout the academic year.
- Provide innovative programming for the campus community on and off the challenge course.
- Lead risk management for the Outdoor Recreation & Leadership Development program
- Implement diversity and inclusion initiatives into program areas
- Provide innovative leadership development programs to the campus community
- Ability to develop students’ leadership, communication, conflict resolution, organizational, and teamwork skills.
- Organize the daily, monthly and annual safety equipment inspections
- Conduct best practice research and assessment efforts
- Collaborate with offices within the Division of Student Affairs and other university departments to ensure cohesive programming and services
- Maintain a high degree of visibility to students, faculty, and staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Outdoor Recreation Leadership, Outdoor Experiential Education, Recreation and Park Management, Environmental Studies or related field
- Two years of work experience in an outdoor education field of setting
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion through programming, trainings/workshops or mentoring
- Challenge Course facilitation experience with a variety of populations
- Proficiency in outdoor technical rock climbing, both top site management, and lead climbing activities
- Knowledge of static belay traversing, dynamic belay traversing and dynamic belayed vertical
- Technical experience, including teaching experience and risk management
- Knowledge of at least two of the following: flat water canoeing, kayaking or paddle boarding, 3 to 4 season backpacking, caving, mountaineering, backcountry skiing or snowboarding, mountain biking, cross country skiing, domestic travel with groups
- Marketing skills, computer skills (Work, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Apps)
- Valid Driver’s license plus the ability to drive over-sized hauling vehicles with trailers
- Certifications (or willingness to work towards certifications) including American Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED, Wilderness First Responders or Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills - written and oral
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Outdoor Recreation Leadership, Outdoor Experiential Education, Recreation and Park Management, Environmental Studies or related field
- Experience working with students in a collegiate setting
- Supervisory experience
- Certified to instruct CPR/AED/First Aid courses
- Possess current Wilderness First Responder Certification in one or more of the preferred industry certifications such as Swift Water Rescue, AMGA, ACA, LNT Trainer or Master Educator, PCIA, Avalanche Certifications, Wilderness Medical Instructor, ACCT Challenge Course Manager Certification, Level II ACCT Rescue Training or Challenge Course Operation or others deemed appropriate to this role
- Working knowledge of equipment rental inventory software systems
- Budget management experience
- Ability to effectively work with multiple constituencies, organize and manage tasks
- Must have the physical abilities to perform all tasks associated with Experiential Education (e.g. lifting gear/kayaks/canoes, hiking with 40lbs backpack, climb challenge course poles)
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend