Current Butler students can find information regarding employment by visiting the Internship & Career Services page.
Community Director - Residence Life Team
Job no: 493768
Work type: Staff Full-time
The Community Director serves as a member of the residence life team that provides vision and direction for the residential community for an undergraduate on-campus population of 3500 students. The Community Director (CD) is responsible for implementing a comprehensive first year program in one of two first-year complexes, each housing approximately 600 residents.
- Supervise, evaluate and coach a staff of 12 to 19 undergraduate paraprofessional student staff and a graduate student.
- Hire and supervise desk assistant staff
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of student staff selection, training and developmental initiatives for all paraprofessional staff
- Partner with professional staff, Faculty- in-Residence and other campus stakeholders to programming through BU|BeWell that promotes personal and social responsibility, self-advocacy, and cultural agility
- Adjudicate conduct through a lens of personal and social responsibility in community
- Provide support to students experiencing roommate conflicts, mental health concerns, academic challenges, and other personal concerns
- Maintain daily contact with students in residence supporting student well-being
- Serve in the crisis management on-duty rotation
- Facilitate a major office project or functional committee team to promote the success of our students
- Maintain a strong partnership with Manager of Operations of American Campus Communities or with Butler University Facilities, based on placement
- Maintain accurate records regarding occupancy, room changes, and damage billing for the unit
- Develop student leadership opportunities to enhance the residential community
- Manage all student staff and building/complex budgets
- Master’s Degree required in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, or related field. Preference is given to individuals with 2 years of residence life graduate assistantship experience and/or 1-year of professional experience
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated understanding of national best practices related to residence life
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Command of technology including social media
- Thorough knowledge of student and identity development theories and their potential for implementation in practice
- Experience in supervision and advising student groups
- This is a live-in position that includes an apartment in-residence - candidate must have a desire to engage with first-year students
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references
If applying at TPE, please include your candidate number on application materials. All materials may be submitted through the TPE Candidate Portal.
Only completed applications will be considered. The position remains open until a candidate is hired.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.