Job no: 493591
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Human Resources
Butler University is currently seeking an experienced Benefits Manager to join our Human Resources Department. This is a professional, functional, administrative position providing support of and managing the development, implementation and evaluation of our benefit programs. As a representative of the HR department, this individual will be involved in the transformation efforts that are currently underway to provide outstanding service to the University. This position may provide supervision over professional, paraprofessional and clerical staff as assigned.
Reports to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources
- Lead the administration of the University’s benefits programs, coordinating all aspects of employee benefits to include, but not limited to: health insurance, dental, vision, long term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending account plans, leaves of absence and retirement savings plans.
- Lead the annual open enrollment cycle for benefits.
- Serve as benefits subject matter expert providing expertise for benefit program strategy, design, policy interpretation and implementation.
- Perform functional and transactional duties in the benefits area as needed, including system transactions, testing, audits and processing as needed.
- Interpret and apply federal and state guidelines, regulations and laws appropriately and in a manner that is consistent with University policies and procedures (COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, ACA, ADA, WC, etc.).
- Manages vendor relationships and may partner with consultants to identify program and process modifications as necessary.
- Serve as a hands-on manager providing oversight of daily work related to retirement programs, audit projects and reconciliations.
- Ensures benefit materials are available and properly communicated to employees.
- Effectively communicate complex information to faculty, staff and the public regarding benefits and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of progressively responsible work experience in benefits administration.
- Compliance expertise regarding state and federal legislation.
- Advanced knowledge of HRIS software applications, with PeopleSoft required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Previous experience working in a secondary or higher education institution.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing multiple tasks and complex projects simultaneously is required.
- This position requires the highest level of confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy is necessary.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend