Assistant Director - Financial Aid
Job no: 495004
Work type: Staff Full-time
The Assistant Director - Financial Aid is a key ally to support students before, during, and after their time at Butler University. The Assistant Director counsels students and families from the initial financial aid application as a prospective student, through the renewal financial aid process to maintain eligibility from varying aid sources, to educating students and parents about responsible borrowing and repaying their loans after Butler.
The Assistant Director must understand and interpret Federal and State laws, Institutional policies and needs, and all components of calculating student financial aid eligibility while confidentially handling families' highly sensitive financial information. The Assistant Director also serves as the expert and responsible individual for specific aspects of financial aid; such as compliance, veteran's programs, institutional merit awards, etc. and facilitates multiple liaison relationships with Butler's colleges and departments across campus. Financial aid is an integral part of a student’s Butler experience and of meeting University recruitment, retention, and programmatic strategy and goals.
Individual is expected to work on campus with flexible and remote work arrangements available based on departmental guidelines.
- Key contributor to student recruitment and retention through counseling prospective, current and former learners through visits, emails, presentations, and by phone
- Provide efficient and effective ongoing communications through the complex financial aid process and enable families to make informed decisions regarding the funding of higher education, while balancing the University’s needs with the families’ expectations
- Oversee all aspects of financial aid processing including Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) data, financial aid eligibility, and execute decisions based on the intent of complex federal and state law and regulations and University policy
- Use professional judgment to determine aid eligibility and makes adjustments with federally-accepted documentation
- Interact and collaborate with key federal and state agencies to ensure fiduciary and regulatory integrity
- Develop and implement the policies and procedures to effectively manage and to accurately report specific aid programs as assigned
- Liaise with campus constituencies to disseminate information about federal, state, and institutional aid programs and the guidelines by which they are governed and achieve institutional objectives
- Share financial aid knowledge, provide training, and use expertise to directly answer questions from others across campus to provide seamless correspondence between the departments and offices to ultimately provide the best possible student experience
- Demonstrate leadership by making recommendations and instituting improvement in areas of responsibility
- Bachelor's Degree
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Strong written and verbal communication and listening skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Consistently completes work in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
- Computer and administrative software skills
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, which include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Free subscription to the WSJ and NYT
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend