Job no: 494969
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
Gulsevin Lab. at Butler University Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (www.gulsevinlab.org) has an open postdoctoral researcher position for individuals with an interest in the development and application of cutting-edge methods for the modeling of membrane-binding proteins and peptides. This is a full-time position, and the starting date is in August 2024. In this position, you can apply your programming and biophysics/computational bioinformatics knowledge to develop new computational tools while learning more about Rosetta and machine-learning-based structure prediction and design methods. As a RosettaCommons member lab, our group belongs to a large scientific community that poses many learning and collaboration opportunities. You will have the chance to work closely with student researchers and mentor them through their research efforts while receiving individualized mentorship.
The postdoctoral researcher selected for this role will design, organize, and conduct research in the fields of computational chemistry and structural biology with a specific focus on membrane proteins and their interactions with cell membranes and peptides. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and application of software and computational tools for the modeling of interactions between membrane proteins and peptides and their membrane partners. These studies will combine traditional and machine-learning-based methods, which will provide the opportunity to learn and apply different tools and algorithms to solve important problems in structural biology. In addition to the research duties, the postdoctoral researcher will summarize the scientific findings of their studies and publish results in research journals; assume general responsibility for scientific operations of the laboratory, including maintenance of the software used in the laboratory; and provide supervision and guidance to junior technicians, students, and researchers.
- Design and implement new research methods and protocols to predict peptide or membrane protein interactions with proteins and membranes.
- Run and analyze Rosetta, molecular dynamics, AlphaFold, and RoseTTAFold calculations for the modeling of membrane protein and peptide interactions with cell membrane models.
- Supervise other personnel in the laboratory to coordinate research efforts including fellows, residents, and students.
- Search pertinent scientific literature as needed.
- Help with ordering equipment and with general maintenance of the laboratory, including computer clusters.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, computational chemistry, biophysics, computer science, or a closely relevant field obtained prior to the start date.
- Proficiency with C++ and Python programming languages.
- Solid understanding of structural biology and/or computational bioinformatics, as evidenced by a publication record in these fields.
- Knowledge of machine-learning algorithms commonly used in structural biology and drug discovery, including multiple-sequence-alignment-based or natural-language-processing-based structure prediction algorithms.
- Experience in developing computational tools using Python, C++, or a similar object-oriented programming language. References to published work or ongoing projects are both acceptable.
- Familiarity with structure modeling tools such as Rosetta and Amber suites.
- Past experience in computational prediction of protein – membrane, peptide – protein or protein – protein interactions.
- Cover letter describing the candidate’s interest in this position and their past work.
- Names and contact information of two references.
- List of publications
Start Date: 8/01/2024
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, which include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Free subscription to the WSJ and NYT
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend