Job no: 494966
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
The position determines appropriate accommodations for students and provides individualized case management and direct support to students with disabilities under the applicable legal mandates and guidelines. This position also creates and implements programming and initiatives to help increase disability awareness across campus.
- Review and interpret disability-related documentation for all areas of disability; conduct intake interviews and meetings with prospective families and students; determine reasonable accommodations; maintain strict confidentiality and show professional discretion in all interactions; document interactions with prospective and registered students.
- Provide direct support services to students which include academic coaching and training on assistive technology; monitor and track the progress of Student Disability Services (SDS) students in support or retention efforts; respond to and resolve student and faculty concerns; make referrals as needed.
- Work with SDS team members and other relevant individuals on campus to coordinate and implement accommodations/ support services.
- Develop and implement disability/diversity-based programming and materials for public consumption; analyze disability-related data for the improvement of departmental processes and procedures, assist in the development of policies and procedural documents as needed.
- Support students requesting accommodations for extra-curricular activities such as Greek Life recruitment and off-campus study.
- Create marketing materials, including but not limited to office bulletin boards, flyers, web content; manage social media accounts.
- Serve as an administrative backup in the department as needed
- Master’s degree in education, social work, psychology, or a related field
- Experience and sensitivity working with people with disabilities
- Ability to interpret disability related documentation
- Willingness to engage and learn about diversity, equity, inclusion, and intersectionality of identities in disability services
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision-making skills, even under pressure
- Experience working in higher education
Please include a resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and detailing how your skills and experiences align with the job requirements.
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, which include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Free subscription to the WSJ and NYT
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend