General Maintenance Worker
Job no: 494996
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Building & Maintenance Services
Butler University seeks a General Maintenance Worker to assist with repairs and projects under the general direction of the Structures Supervisor. This Position will be 1st shift 7am-3:30 pm, but may also need to work some flexible shifts.
Under general direction of the Structures Supervisor, the General Maintenance Worker repairs cabinets, counters, shelves, tables and miscellaneous furniture; replaces and repairs doors, closures and locks; alters and repairs a variety of building structures such as walls, partitions, doorways, windows and frames, stairways, masonry and roofs. Installs window glass and screens, applies wall and floor covering materials in addition to installing and repairing ceramic and other types of tile. May make routine electrical, plumbing and mechanical repairs when that work is integral to the repairs or installation. Helps guide the work of less experienced workers.
- Responds to work order requests and project assignments for repairs including walls, ceilings (plaster and tile), doors (interior and exterior), repair and adjustment of hardware and windows
- Flooring repair and installation of carpet, VCT, ceramic tile and wood
- Woodwork repair and installation
- Painting, staining, wallcovering repair and installation and caulking both interior and exterior
- Performs exterior maintenance and installation of bike racks, trash receptacles. Minor masonry and tuckpointing
- Replacement of damaged paver stone, concrete placement and repair
- Performs summer refurbishing of Residence Halls including bathroom and sleeping area work
- Preventative maintenance tasks including fire extinguisher checks, roof and drain cleaning
- Utilizes electronic devices including iPads and computers
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 1-2+ years of general maintenance experience
- Valid Drivers License
- General Maintenance experience with academic or historic buildings
- Osha 10 certification
- Lock out tag out training
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, which include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend