Job no: 494995
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Building & Maintenance Services
Butler University seeks a groundskeeper for our Indianapolis campus. The Groundskeeper role is a necessary position in the operations department to maintain and keep the campus grounds in order.
- Mows, trims and edges turf areas using riding mower, push mower, weed whip and edger. Mulches, weeds, removes thatch, aerates. and trims and edges around flower beds, walks, pathways and walls.
- Prepares planting beds with hand and power tools; integrates soil amendments; plants bulbs, flowers, ground covers, trees and shrubs; applies mulch. Prunes trees, shrubs, vines and hedges.
- Applies seed, fertilizer and chemicals.
- Rakes leaves. Performs snow and ice removal with hand tools and power equipment.
- Maintains parking lots and signage, clears storm water grates, and fills pot holes. Collects trash and items to be recycled.
- Transports parts, tools, equipment, and materials.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned, including general building maintenance duties.
- Drives University vehicles as needed.
- Work any shift as needed. 24-hour a day emergency response as needed. Assist with snow removal activities as necessary.
- Must be available to work during inclement weather (i.e. snow and ice) when weather emergencies dictate that the department is needed to take care of the campus.
- HS Diploma or GED
- 1+ years experience at a landscaping company
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Assumes personal responsibility for actions
- Friendly and service-oriented
- Possesses a high degree of initiative
- Productivity\Consistently completes work in a timely manner
- Produces quantity of work assigned to the position
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, which include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend