The Designer/Learning Experiences position will be accountable for the consultation and facilitation of digitally-enhanced and online course development practices that engage faculty and partners to design engaging and effective learning experiences that promote learner engagement, satisfaction, and success.
Accountable for the consultation and facilitation of digitally-enhanced and online course development practices that engage faculty and partners to design engaging and effective learning experiences that promote learner engagement, satisfaction, and success. Including conducting research to identify learning needs, designing and developing instructional materials, such as digital assets, interactive activities, and assessments, and continuously iterating on learning experiences to improve learner outcomes through human-centered and goal-oriented practices that drive the growth of the digital learning portfolio.
- Facilitation of Learning Experience Design: Develop collaborative partnerships with faculty and staff through the development of online course(s) through discovery of learning needs and defined learning outcomes; conduct research and analyze data to inform the design of effective learner-centered experiences; ensure that learning experiences align with instructional design principles and pedagogical best practices; iterating on learning experiences to continually improve learner outcomes and engagement.
- Project Management: Demonstrate efficiency and human-centered practices in managing multiple project plans, maintain deadlines, track progress and performance to ensure successful outcomes.
- Relationship Management: Establish and maintain positive relationships with team members and stakeholders, understanding their strengths and skillsets, communication styles, and motivation to effectively drive results.
- Design Processes: Design and produce engaging and accessible course learning experiences in accordance with design principles (e.g., color, typography, image selection, visual communication, etc.) that adhere to accessibility standards and utilization of technology tools to enhance learning experiences.
- Coaching/Training: Coordinate and produce excellent, high-impact consultation and learning experience design assets for an accessible learning experience (how-to guides, job aids, processes, web content, templates, examples, etc.) and facilitate experiences (training, micro-courses, learning communities, presentations, etc.) to serve university needs and meet division goals.
- Position Impact: Enhance division and organization reputation of strategy and innovation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; explore innovative opportunities to add value to organization accomplishments.
- Professional Growth: Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
Key Performance Measures
- Growth of high-quality digital learning opportunities: Annual increase in DPS and co-created programs with metrics in # of courses/programs developed # and projects executed on time/within budget.
- Advance the design and production of learning experience capability internally and externally: Annual increase in the process and standards for cross-functional efficiency - # people, # Time, # Increased Capacity, # Decreased Cost; annual measure of stakeholder satisfaction effectiveness for communication, organization, service, technical solution, advocacy and ability to influence outcomes.
- Elevate innovative and meaningful learning experiences: Annual increase and advancement in student retention and experience with metrics in % student retention/matriculation, % of courses with QA report for learning design and accessibility, and % of course interaction report with Canvas Data Analytics.
- Raise the profile of Butler as a leader in designing online learning experiences: # of professional recognition, awards, grants, publications, conference presentations, etc.
- Personal Impact and growth metric - contributions of self, contributions to the team members’ growth, contribution to positive work culture, contributions to continuous improvement, contribution to university values.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree
- Considerable experience (5+ years) in learning experience design, instructional design, graphic design, or curriculum development of online courses from ideation to production.
- Considerable experience (5+ years) in successful teaching and/or professional training experience applying learning theory and pedagogy to develop instructional and assessment strategies.
- Considerable experience (3+ years) in Curriculum Development Software, Course Authoring/Production Tools, Graphic Design Software, Learning Management Systems (Canvas preferred), Google Tools, Microsoft Suite, and Video Conferencing.
- Considerable ability to integrate the design thinking model to help facilitate human-centered and outcome-driven solutions for digital learning experiences with technology, including empathy personas, needs analysis, ideating, testing, and prototyping.
- Considerable ability to take the initiative, prioritize work, and manage multiple projects simultaneously to achieve desired results.
- Considerable ability and willingness to work independently and in a team environment, including physical or virtual environments, with a passion for supporting and serving as an advocate of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Considerable relationship management skills, including diplomatically addressing questions or concerns and successfully resolving challenges, and generating solutions.
- Advanced degree and certifications in instructional design, learning experience design, transformative and inclusive pedagogy, digital media, Quality Matters, Canvas Certified Instructor
- Considerable experience in the utilization of project management software to manage instructional design projects and meet deadlines.
- Considerable experience using and/or supporting accessible technologies; knowledge of online learning regulatory and compliance agency requirements including UDL, ADA, Section 508 compliance, FERPA, and other applicable laws, rules, and regulations related to online learning.
- Our digital transformation team follows a hybrid schedule working; candidates should be able to commute to the campus at least 2 days per month unless otherwise agreed. Our in-office time is used primarily for team meetings, relationship building, and high-collaboration projects. We support our employees to do their best work with technology to support remote collaboration and intentional strategies to foster a positive work culture. Butler University hires candidates with approved state residency according to state authorization agreements with a preference for Indiana.
Please note that the above-referenced position cannot be performed in the following states: CA, CO, CT, HI, ME, MA, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OR, VT, WA, WI, and WY
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, that include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition, hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.