The Team Lead, Learning Experience Design position is accountable for creating impactful learning experiences that inspire and empower learners to achieve their full potential by leading a team of Learning Experience Designers in creating compelling and engaging experiences that support organizational goals and drive learner success.
Accountable for creating impactful learning experiences that inspire and empower learners to achieve their full potential. Lead a team of Learning Experience Designers in creating compelling and engaging learning experiences that support organizational goals and drive learner success. Organize and execute learning design projects that advance online student learning experience and collaborative partnerships resulting in the growth of high-quality online learning opportunities; use data-driven best practices that promote student engagement and retention. Employ constructive communication strategies to foster partner and stakeholder success.
- Team Leadership: Provide daily operational leadership for the learning experience design team to direct performance and productivity while fostering a spirit of teamwork, accountability, and meaningful feedback.
- Learning Design Project Management: Management of the design and development of digital learning courses and programs, managing projects and timelines, and ensuring the team operates efficiently; overseeing the consultative learning experience design process, building courses, ensuring quality and accessibility standards are met, deadlines, and reporting of progress for the successful outcomes of multiple high-growth project plans.
- Relationship Management: Establish and maintain positive relationships with team members and stakeholders, understanding their strengths and skillsets, communication styles, and motivation to drive results effectively.
- Learning Experience Design Process: Execute the development of collaborative and scalable partnerships to assess learning needs, research, recommend high-impact learning solutions and pedagogical best practices using design tools such as learning project plans, design documents, storyboards, prototypes, personas, and produce learning maps for high-quality and accessible online courses and programs that inform learner-centered experiences, and continuously improve learning outcomes and engagement
- Learning Experience Design Production: Execute course-building activities and timelines that lead to the production and quality assurance review of all online courses for engaging and accessible learning experiences; Coordinate and produce excellent, high-impact consultation and learning experience design assets for an accessible learning experience (how-to guides, job aids, processes, webpages, templates, examples, etc.) and facilitate experiences (training, micro-courses, learning communities, presentations, etc.) serve university needs and meet division goals
- Position Impact: Enhance division and organization reputation of strategy and innovation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring innovative opportunities to add value to organization accomplishments.
- Professional Growth: Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Key Performance Measures
- Growth of high-quality digital learning opportunities: Annual increase in DPS and co-created programs with metrics in # of courses/programs developed # and projects executed on time/within budget.
- Advances the design and production of learning experience capability internally and externally: Annual increase in the process and standards for cross-functional efficiency - # people, # Time, # Increased Capacity, # Decreased Cost; Annual measure of stakeholder satisfaction effectiveness for communication, organization, service, technical solution, advocacy and ability to influence outcomes.
- Elevate innovative and meaningful learning experiences: Annual increase and advancement in student retention and experience with metrics in % student retention/matriculation, % of courses with QA report for learning design and accessibility, and % of course interaction report with Canvas Data Analytics.
- Raise the profile of Butler as a leader in designing online learning experiences: # of professional recognition, awards, grants, publications, conference presentations, etc.
- Personal Impact and growth metric - contributions of self, contributions to the team members' growth, contribution to positive work culture, contributions to continuous improvement, contribution to university values.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree.
- Considerable experience in progressive leadership (5+ years) with teams related to innovative learning and instructional design of online courses.
- Considerable experience (5+ years) in successful teaching and/or professional training experience applying learning theory and pedagogy to develop instructional and assessment strategies for online learning.
- Considerable experience (5+ years) in Curriculum Development Software, Course Authoring/Production Tools, Learning Management System (Canvas preferred), Google Tools, Microsoft Suite, Video Conferencing.
- Design and development implementing fully online courses or blended/hybrid courses from planning through production.
- Integrate the design thinking model to help facilitate human-centered and outcome-driven solutions for digital learning experiences with technology, including empathy personas, needs analysis, ideating, testing, and prototyping.
- Considerable ability to create and remediate digitally accessible materials/courses.
- Considerable ability to effectively consult with instructors across disciplines and teaching contexts to achieve common goals within stated timelines.
- Considerable ability to take initiative, prioritize work, and manage multiple projects simultaneously to achieve desired results.
- Considerable ability and willingness to work independently and in a team environment; including physical or virtual environments with a passion for supporting and serving as an advocate of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Considerable relationship management skills, including diplomatically addressing questions, or concerns and successfully resolving challenges, and generating solutions.
- Experience using and/or supporting accessible technologies; knowledge of online learning regulatory and compliance agency requirements, including UDL, ADA, Section 508 compliance, FERPA, and other applicable laws, rules, and regulations related to online learning.
- Advanced degree and/or certifications in instructional design, project management instructional technology, digital media production, or a related field of study.
- Successful management of teams and professional staff in the design and development of innovative instruction or online programs.
- Quality Matters Certified Peer Review/Master Reviewer.
- Considerable experience in utilizing project management software (Monday) to manage cross-functional operations projects and meet deadlines.
- Considerable experience using quantitative and/or qualitative research methods ds and learning analytics.
- Our digital transformation team follows a hybrid schedule working; candidates should be able to commute to the campus at least 2 days per month, unless otherwise agreed. Our in-office time is used primarily for team meetings, relationship building, and high-collaboration projects. We support our employees to do their best work with technology to support remote collaboration and intentional strategies to foster a positive work culture. Butler University hires candidates with approved state residency according to state authorization agreements with a preference for Indiana.
Please note that the above-referenced position cannot be performed in the following states: CA, CO, CT, HI, ME, MA, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OR, VT, WA, WI, and WY
BU Benefits and Perks
Please check out Butler’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our benefit offerings, that include:
- Paid Time Off and Holidays:
- 18 days of paid time off (vacation and PTO days)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Paid Winter Break between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
- Paid Parental Leave (after 1 year of full-time employment)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans including disability and life insurance programs
- 10% employer contribution after 1 year of full-time employment
- Tuition Assistance:
- Remission of tuition for classes taken at Butler for employees, spouses, and dependent children.
- Eligibility after 9 months of full-time employment
- Employees & spouses- undergraduate/graduate degrees
- Dependents (under age 26)- undergraduate degree
- Covers tuition only
- Tuition Exchange Program for Dependents
- Butler Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks:
- Access to Butler’s on-site fitness facility and libraries for full-time staff and faculty
- LinkedIn Learning Courses
- Free premium subscription to the Calm App
- Discount at the College Bookstore
- Discount on select Athletic and Arts/Events Center Performances
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
Join us at the crossroads of tradition & transformation. A career at Butler University means so much more than a job. Join the dedicated, innovative, and supportive community of faculty and staff that is moving Butler Beyond.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition, hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.