Job no: 494662
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Arts & Events
The stagehand generalist position serves as an integral part of the 4 position, union stagehand, crew for Butler University as well as a member of the overall production team for the Butler Arts & Events Center. Primary responsibilities are setup, maintaining, and operating theatrical equipment within the contracted areas of the agreement with IATSE Local 30. This position will require a flexible schedule, set by the Head of Production, with substantial evening and weekend work as the event schedule deems necessary.
General Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Weekly maintenance of stage and equipment alongside Head of Production and union crew in Clowes Hall; as well as, alongside the Production Manager and the non union crew in the primarily academic venues on campus.
- Work as a team with both the union stagehands and non union production managers across all performance venues in the Butler Arts & Events Center to ensure all events take place and are well executed.
- When an event in Clowes Hall requires four (4) department heads, the stagehand generalist position will fill a department head role as a working head, assigned by the Head of Production, with all of the duties and expectations that come with being a working house department head.
- When an event in Clowes Hall does not require four (4) department heads, the stagehand generalist may rotate through show work assignments with the additional (3) in house stagehand positions so that the minimum 2080 hours are filled per the IATSE Local 30 Agreement.
- When events in Clowes Hall do not require four (4) stagehands, the stagehand generalist will be available to assist the Production Manager and their team in the primarily academic venues across campus as a working hand.
- Attend weekly production team advance meetings.
- Other duties as assigned, by the Head of Production and Vice President of Events
Qualifications & Required Skills
- 4-8 years of related stage experience
- Experience in multiple fields of stagecraft, with an emphasis on experience with modern stage technology and equipment
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable professional experience
- Member of IATSE Local 30 with Journeyman status
- ETCP Rigging Certification
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
As a condition of employment, Butler University requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff (subject to applicable law). COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement FAQs
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend