Job no: 494271
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
Overview of the Position
Butler University is a private residential liberal and professional education community with a history of doing things differently. The Division of Student Affairs is committed to intentional engagement of students in facilities, programs, and services through learning outcomes associated with the dimensions of BU BeWell—the Butler model for student experience. The Office of Residence Life affirms the dignity of each individual and provides opportunities and services that promote educational and personal growth with an emphasis on well-being.
The Community Director serves as a member of the Residence Life team that provides vision and direction for their residential community for an undergraduate on-campus population of 3500. The Community Director (CD) is responsible for one of four residential areas—University Apartments, second-year housing in Fairview House, or first-year housing in Irvington House or in the Residential College/Ross Hall Complex—each housing approximately 600 residents.
- Supervise, evaluate, and coach a staff of 12 to 19 undergraduate paraprofessional student staff. Collaborate in the development and implementation of student staff selection, training, and developmental initiatives for all paraprofessional staff. Manage all student staff and building/complex budgets. Hire and evaluate a managing desk assistant staff for the residential area during the academic year and, if applicable, the summer.
- Provide support to students experiencing roommate conflicts, mental health concerns, academic challenges, and other personal concerns. Maintain daily contact with students in residence supporting student well-being. Develop student leadership opportunities to enhance the residential community. Partner with professional staff, Faculty-in-Residence, and other campus partners to deliver a comprehensive residential experience through BU BeWell that promotes personal and social responsibility, self-advocacy, and cultural agility within the residential area.
- Serve in the crisis management on-duty rotation. Adjudicate conduct through a lens of personal and social responsibility for community standards.
- Facilitate a major office project or functional committee team to promote the success of our students.
- Maintain a strong partnership with Manager of Operations of American Campus Communities or with Butler University Facilities based on the residential area. Maintain accurate records regarding occupancy, room changes, and damage billing for the unit.
- Master’s Degree required in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, or related field. Preference is given to individuals with 2 years of residence life graduate assistantship experience and/or 1-year of professional experience working with residential students.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated understanding of national best practices related to Residence Life work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated skills with technology including social media
- Thorough knowledge of student and identity development theories and their potential for implementation in practice
- Experience in supervision and advising student groups
- This is a live-in position that includes an apartment in-residence - candidate must have a desire to engage with residential students
If applying at TPE, please include your candidate number on application materials. All materials may be submitted through the TPE Candidate Portal.
Only completed applications will be considered. The position remains open until a candidate is hired.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend