Office of Recreation & Wellness Operations Intern
Job no: 494239
Work type: Staff Temporary/Occasional
Categories: Health & Recreation
Butler University’s Office of Recreation & Wellness was launched in 2005-2006 and proudly opened its first campus recreation facility, the Health and Recreation Complex (HRC), in August of 2006. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Recreation, Aquatics & Operations and assists in the daily operations of a dynamic campus recreation facility and staff. This internship provides comprehensive, hands on, learning experiences that further enhances the employee's development in the field of campus recreation and wellness.
Personnel Management (40%)
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and develop approximately 40-45 student staff working as Operation Supervisors.
- Act as an accessible resource and support for all Operation Supervisors, responding to staff questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Plan, prepare, and conduct monthly Operation Supervisor staff meetings.
- Oversee and develop four student Lead Supervisors.
- Gather input from students regularly through surveys or discussions, utilizing data to make enhancements to their experience and improve the Operation Supervisor position.
- Conduct annual student employee evaluations for Operation Supervisors.
- Assist in the creation of a consistent, seamless, comprehensive onboarding plan for Operations Supervisors.
- Complete payroll on a weekly basis.
- Advance BU|BeWell through programs and services that promote a holistic student experience for participants
- Implement diversity and inclusion initiatives into program areas
- Oversee daily building operations, handling any issues that may arise.
- Continually document customer service or operation issues, using this information to make improvement in our building processes and services.
- Complete a daily inspection of the recreation facility.
- Request and coordinate any necessary repairs and maintenance issues.
- Oversee and approve facility reservations.
- Attend special events hosted at the HRC and act as the main contact person, communicating and coordinating with event leaders.
- Manage special event preparation, staffing, and supervision.
Membership Management (20%)
- Assist with the management of the HRC’s many membership options including memberships for students, employees, affiliates, alumni, and community members.
- Manage the HRC email account, responding to member emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
- Handle and resolve customer service scenarios alongside Operation Supervisors.
- Oversee locker reservations.
Risk Management (10%)
- Assist with scheduling and training employees, faculty/staff, and students across campus in American Red Cross CPR, First Aid.
- Ensure Department Emergency Action Plan is implemented and maintained effectively.
Bachelor’s degree in recreation, sports management or related field preferred and/or assurance that Butler University will meet internship requirements. Strong customer service, team building, leadership, decision making, and critical thinking skills required. Candidates that possess an interest in a career in campus recreation are especially encouraged.
- Approximately 28.5 hours/week
- Evening and weekend hours are required
- July- June (July 1 start date)
To be filled immediately.
For More Information on our Department and Programs
Visit our website at www.butler.edu/recwell
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend