Director, Small Business Development Center
Job no: 493720
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
The Regional Director is responsible for effectively managing the day-to-day operations of the Central Indiana Small Business Development Corporation (ISBDC) office located in the Lacy School of Business at Butler University, including identifying stakeholders and funders to meet required Federal cash match sources to access Federal funds. The Regional Director is expected to meet counseling, training and other performance goals, program objectives and contractual agreements. In addition, the Regional Director represents the ISBDC in the community. The Regional Director reports to the ISBDC Host (Butler University) with a dotted line relationship to the Lead Center.
- Manage and operate the ISBDC in accordance with all applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and other governing documents.
- Develop, administer and manage the Center’s budget in accordance with host institution, IEDC and Small Business Administration (SBA) guidelines; forecast future needs and recommend strategies for fund development.
- Manage, supervise and coach ISBDC staff.
- Build and manage relationships with existing stakeholders, especially ISBDC Host, acquire new stakeholders and ensure stakeholder satisfaction.
- Oversight for building client relationships with existing clients and acquiring new clients.
- Select, train, manage and evaluate ISBDC personnel.
- Attend and participate in a variety of workshops, seminars and meetings; serve on committees and advisory boards.
- Set performance expectations and review performance. Use performance data to continuously improve regional performance.
- Create brand awareness of the ISBDC throughout region through speaking engagements, committee work and community engagement.
- Develop and maintain strong liaisons with business/community/government agencies and organizations that are involved with the improvement of the local business climate.
- Develop regional ISBDC strategic planning initiatives in conjunction with ISBDC Lead Center and network.
- Provide small business assistance including one-to-one client counseling in the area of business plan development; analyze, prepare and structure financial statements such as cash flow projections, income statements and balance sheets; provide assistance in automated and manual record keeping systems; assist clients with market related issues such as business development, sales strategies, advertising, promotional functions, market surveys and other related areas; provide assistance with loan applications.
- Gather and analyze data to evaluate the performance of the region. Use this data to implement continuous improvement initiatives to meet and exceed ISBDC goals and objectives.
- Oversee client satisfaction in the region. Making sure that all clients needs and expectations are met and that clients are satisfied with the centers performance.
- Report center results (including economic impact information of clients), submit periodic reports and maintain center records in accordance with the Indiana ISBDC Network policies and procedures and applicable OMB circulars.
- Provide oversight and expertise in grants and project development. Provide leadership and set direction on business issues throughout region and provide input to federal, state and local agencies.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business or a related field
- Four years of responsible senior management experience in a private sector setting.
- Experience in the following computer systems: : Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Use of the Internet
- Master of Business Administration or Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business or related field or equivalent business experience.
- Two years of ownership or senior management of a small business
- Direct experience providing information, advice counsel and training to business is preferred.
- Direct experience in developing and facilitating strategic planning sessions with clients
- Experience in both private and public sector
- Public speaking
- Experience in working with senior leaders in business or the community
- Results Focused – executes strategy and takes accountability for group results
- Business Acumen - practical application of business operations, including finance, operating control systems, human resource management, marketing, public relations
- Administration –, budget management, office management
- Staff Orientation – select, develop and manage associates
- Profit Conscious – manages allocated resources to attain optimum bottom-line results
- Executive Presence – works with other senior leaders as a peer and is seen as such
- Analysis and Judgment – ability to analyze documents and situations and make reasonable judgments about next steps
- Networking – ability to build relationships with a variety of people
- Leadership Focus – desire and willingness to coach and develop others
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – looks at the business as their own and continues to develop and improve it
- Initiative – takes action on problems or opportunities without being prompted
- Independent Contributor – works independently, is self-motivated, goal-oriented, can meet deadlines without significant supervision
- Continuous Learner – wants to continuously gain new knowledge, approaches, and experience
- Fast-Paced and Diverse – wants a job that changes day to day with a variety of tasks and interactions
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend