Community Director, Ross/Residential College Complex
Job no: 493532
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
The Community Director is a professional staff member of the office of residence life in the department of student living and learning in the Division of Student Affairs at Butler University. The Community Director is charged with shaping the environment and experiences of residential students by providing services and innovative educational initiatives for two first-year residential communities. The position serves as a collaborative professional within the central leadership team assisting in providing direction and administrative functions for the entire living and learning the residential community of 3200 students. The CD collaborates with five Faculty- in -Residence and an another first-year Community Director to implement an intentional residential curriculum based on BU Be Well, the Butler student experience model for the complex consisting of 2 buildings of approximately 600 residents. The position supervises an Assistant Community Director, 15 Community Assistants, supervises teams of desk assistants, and advises two community councils. The position leads the new community assistant course, facilitates the Butler move-In process, represents the office on the welcome week committee, and serves on the residential facilities improvement group and the Apartment and Community Assistant recruitment and selection team.
- Manage the Butler Move-In process for first and second-year students and support summer housing.
- Collaborate with professional staff to deliver a comprehensive residential curriculum promoting academic success, well-being through the Bu BeWell student experience model and community engagement for residents of first-year buildings.
- Adjudicate conduct hearings in an educational environment
- Serve in the on-duty team for crisis management and emergency response
- Advise the hall government and select and supervise a Managing Desk Assistant and desk assistants for both buildings
- Serve on at least one student affairs departmental committee and facilitate a project within the residence life to ensure the success of our students
- Supervise and provide staff development for an Assistant Community Director and partner with five Faculty-In Residence staff
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of selection, training and developmental initiatives of all 60 student staff members
- Master’s Degree required in higher education administration, college student personnel, or related field
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated understanding of national best practices related to student housing/residence life
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Command of technology including social media
- Thorough knowledge of student and identity development theories and their application to students
- Experience in supervision and advising student groups
- This is a live-in position that includes an apartment in-residence so the candidate must have a desire to engage with students
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend