The Doctor of Medical Science (DMS) Program within the Department of Medical Science in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at Butler University invites applications for a full time, continually renewable, non-tenure-track faculty appointment. This full-time (12-month) faculty position anticipated start date is January 2024.
This program provides an avenue for PAs interested in expanding their understanding of medical knowledge, develop leadership and business skills, and promote lifelong learning. All courses are online and asynchronous allowing students to continue to work within their communities while taking classes to achieve an advanced degree in a way that best suits their schedule. The flexible program allows physician assistants to build on their previous education and experiences.
Two of Butler’s key strategic priorities are “to create an intentionally diverse, inclusive, and equitable campus community,” and to “build a culture of empowerment, engagement and accountability.” We seek candidates whose research, teaching, and/or life experiences has prepared them to contribute to engagement with and inclusion of culturally diverse students, faculty, and staff.
The candidate selected for this position will engage in teaching evidence based, up-to-date, asynchronous online courses within the DMS curriculum, mentoring doctoral student scholarly activities, and contributing to building an inclusive learning environment for an increasingly diverse student population. Faculty will assist in all aspects of the program including recruitment, assessment, and the development, delivery, and evaluation of the curriculum. The faculty will engage in scholarship and service activities consistent with the requirements of the Department of Medical Science and the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, as well as be involved actively with professional organizations at the state and national levels. Candidates who prefer to reside in locations remote to Indianapolis will be considered.
Key job responsibilities include:
- Engage in teaching, service, and scholarship within an online collaborative environment
- Maintain effective assessment strategies for course and curriculum improvement
- Ensure student learning outcomes are met and implement best educational practices in teaching and mentoring
- Engage in student and alumni outreach
- Identify and pursue opportunities to enhance public relations of the DMS program through institutional, local, regional and national media reports, public appearances, and social interaction
- Support diversity, equity, and objectivity in student recruitment and selection
- Foster curricular and instructional approaches that recognize differences in individual learning, encourage problem-solving, and facilitate the acquisition of competencies and skills in efficient and effective manner
- Individual is a PA with an earned doctoral degree
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a PA
- A graduate from an ARC-PA accredited program
- Hold NCCPA board certification or emeritus status
- Be eligible or hold active licensure as a PA
- Have the requisite knowledge and skills to teach in the online program effectively
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Willingness to contribute to building an inclusive learning environment
- Experience teaching in higher education
- Prior full-time appointment teaching in a PA program
- Development, Delivery and Management of online education
- Experience utilizing learning management systems
- Experience in PA leadership, scholarship, and advocacy
Application: Application review begins immediately and will continue until position is filled. Salary and rank are commensurate with experience and educational credentials. Candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in this position, and a description of how you meet the qualifications of the position.
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Names, addresses, titles, and contact information of three professional references
Butler University is a nationally recognized academic institution ranked #1 in the Midwest among regional universities, #1 in the category most innovative schools, and #1 in Best Colleges for Veterans in the 2023 U.S. News & World Report. Butler is located in Indianapolis, Indiana, and home to a well-established, fully accredited, entry- level PA program—the first in the state of Indiana.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.