Executive Director, Division of Professional Studies
Job no: 493880
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
Butler University seeks a passionate and highly experienced leader that has a strong desire to work on the forefront of higher education and develop solutions that meet the needs of adult, online or career-focused learners. A unique opportunity for the entrepreneurial candidate, this position will guide the launch and growth of Butler's new Division of Professional Studies (DPS), a unit designed specifically to develop and deliver new, market-driven credit and non-credit programs for learners that desire a different educational experience than Butler’s traditional undergraduate offering.
Working closely with both the University’s Vice President for Strategy & Innovation and Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost, the Executive Director oversees the creation, implementation, and realization of a strategic vision, ensuring that the division is at the forefront of lifelong learning opportunities for non-traditional learners and the organizations that employ these learners. The Executive Director will lead the development, delivery and expansion of a catalogue of high-quality credit and non-credit programs and degrees for adult, executive and online learners across new markets for the University. The position will be expected to coordinate with external stakeholders, including corporations and workforce development organizations, to develop solutions that meet the region’s talent needs. In addition to delivering its own catalogue of programs, the Executive Director of DPS will serve as a key leader in guiding the University’s overall strategy for online education and non-traditional program development and collaborate with Butler’s Colleges to address markets of mutual interest. The Executive Director is responsible for the long-term academic, fiscal, and reputational health of the division as well as management of personnel working within the division.
- Create and execute a strategic plan and program roadmap that delivers programmatic opportunities for non-traditional learners and the organizations employing these learners, delivers fiscal results for the new division and positions Butler as a leader in adult and online education offerings
- Develop a catalogue of high-quality, primarily online, market-driven offerings including both employer-customized programs and talent pathways and public enrollment programs
- Identify, hire and work closely with faculty, instructors and other subject matter experts to design and deliver highly engaging, market-aligned credit and non-credit offerings for the Division
- Work with Butler’s Colleges to develop new programs that may be of mutual interest and build upon existing University strengths
- Partner with Butler’s Program Success and Innovation team and other administrative units (Enrollment Management, Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office, Information Technology, Student Disability Services, etc.) on the development, launch, and support of new adult and online programs to ensure programs are successful and online student needs are appropriately supported
- Ensure continual assessment of programs and outcomes, redesigning, launching and discontinuing programs as necessary to meet learners’ needs
- Coordinate with employers and local and statewide workforce development organizations to identify and develop markets for new DPS programs and how the unit can contribute to the region’s talent needs
- Provide oversight of the programmatic approval processes in the division, collaborating with key University partners
- Have ultimate accountability for the day-to-day operations, fiscal and personnel management of the Division
- Deep understanding of best practices for developing high-quality, learner-centered academic programs and proven success in adult and online education, including the areas of competency based education, alternative credentialing, degree completion, and digital-first learning environments
- Results-oriented, focused on delivering quality programs with successful outcomes while achieving growth related metrics
- Exceptional relationship building skills as well as strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success at building collaboration across internal organizational units and with external constituents
- Capacity to juggle multiple projects at different stages of development
- Strong desire to create innovative market offerings
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment
- 7-10 years in administrative or academic leadership roles
- Proven experience successfully leading an academic enterprise
- Deep experience in growing adult and online education offerings, both in credit and non-credit environments
- Experience building and delivering new academic programs, including programs in partnership with external partners
- Proven experience managing multiple aspects of adult and online programs including program design, research, marketing, recruiting, student success, instructional design, technology stack, career services, etc.
- Advanced degree
- Teaching experience
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend