Senior Assistant to the President
Job no: 493504
Work type: Staff Full-time
The Senior Assistant in the Office of the President provides high-level support to the President of Butler University. The candidate will possess and display exceptional organizational and planning skills, independent decision-making abilities, a highly professional demeanor, discretion, and excellent interpersonal skills. S/he will work closely with the President, the Chief of Staff, the Presidential Spouse, administrative staff in the President’s Office, and Vice Presidents and Deans of all divisions. S/he will also work frequently with Butler faculty, staff, and students. Equally important will be the ability to develop strong, positive working relationships with internal and external constituents on behalf of the President.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures coordination and optimal scheduling of strategic meetings/events with internal and external University constituents for the President and Presidential Spouse.
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff, ensures efficiency of President’s Office staff and operations.
- Supervises President’s Office staff, including the Administrative Assistant and student employees.
- Coordinates logistics with high-level meetings both internally and externally. Coordinates meetings and strategic engagement activities with the President’s Cabinet and Executive Council.
- Independently researches, prioritizes, and follows up on multiple requests, issues and concerns addressed to the Office of the President, including those of a sensitive and/or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, and/or response.
- Communicates directly and on behalf of the President with internal and external constituents as directed by the President.
- Supports the President in his/her external commitments, including his/her engagement with the Chair and members of the Board of Trustees, and his/her service on committees, boards, and other groups.
- Oversees various staff and committee meetings, travel arrangements including supporting agendas, preparatory documents, meeting logistics, car, flight, and hotel bookings, post-trip follow-up, expense reports, etc. on behalf of the President.
- Independently conducts research and/or collaborates with Advancement colleagues to ensure that the President and Presidential Spouse are properly briefed and prepared for all meetings and events.
- Supports the Presidential Spouse as needed with events at the President’s Residence and in his/her engagement with internal and external constituents.
- Researches, anticipates, and assists in the planning of key constituent events or programs to be hosted by the President and/or Presidential Spouse with internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversees processes performed by the Administrative Assistant including purchasing-card reports, annual licensing, registrations, subscriptions, etc. for the President and other members of the President’s Office staff.
- Prepares correspondence, presentations, and other materials as directed by the President.
- Represents the President’s Office at required meetings/events.
- Advises University colleges/divisions on event strategy and execution; participates in campus-wide planning committees and other working groups as needed.
- Manages the division budget, including annual planning and coordination of department budgets and bi-annual updates with Business Office.
- Attends and assists with President’s Cabinet and Executive Council meetings and events as required.
- Attends and assists with President’s Office-related events outside normal hours as required.
- Leads and directs special projects and other duties as assigned by the President.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to independently conduct research, collect data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to think critically and analytically and to solve problems/make decisions promptly and independently.
- High level of discretion and sound judgement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to independently compose and edit documents.
- Highly proficient in relevant software applications (Microsoft Office) and database management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Butler University’s mission, goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries of a sensitive or confidential nature from faculty, staff, and the general public. Must demonstrate discretion and be cognizant always of maintaining the appropriate image for the President’s Office.
- Undergraduate degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- High level of proficiency in business writing and calendar management required.
- Proficiency in current software applications (Microsoft Office) and database management.
- A genuine interest in the well-being of college students and the educational mission of Butler University.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries of a sensitive and confidential nature from donors, faculty, staff, and other University constituencies.
- Must be cognizant of maintaining the appropriate image in all communication and interaction made on behalf of the President’s Office and the University. Must have a demeanor by which s/he simultaneously treats others with respect and commands the respect of others.
- Ability to conduct research, assemble and analyze data to prepare documents and draw valid conclusions.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to edit documents and independently compose correspondence.
- Professional in appearance, demeanor, and decision-making.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Standard office environment with frequent requirements to stand, walk, sit and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasional travel to attend meetings and events.
REPORTS TO: President
SUPERVISES: This position will supervise the Office Administrative Assistant and student employees.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend