Assistant Director of Residence Life
Job no: 493345
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
The Assistant Director of Residence Life (AD) reports to the Executive Director for Student Living and Learning. The position serves as one of two senior staff members of the Residence Life leadership team promoting student learning, health and well-being of students in an intentionally inclusive residential environment through effective, efficient and innovative best practices. The AD is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the Residence Life office through indirect supervision of 4 community directors, 4 graduate students and 56 student staff members advancing the Butler student experience Bu BeWell. This AD leads crisis management response, conduct systems, reviews all policy, procedure, recruitment, and training of professional staff. The AD supports 2,800 students living in 3 first-year residence halls, a second-year residential community and 4 apartment communities and manages exception process.
- Leads all administrative operations of the Residence Life Office to advance BU Be Well through programs and services with Community Directors, Assistant Community Directors, Apartment Community Assistants, Community Assistants, and Desk Assistants across all residential facilities. Actively engages the Community Directors in their professional development plans and provides operational updates on a weekly basis,
- Manages all high- level conduct for residential students ensuring that learning and restorative justice are the focus of the conduct model for the 3300 students living in residence.
- Assists the Executive Director in budget planning and the development of fiscal year projections with proposed incremental or contingency planning oversee management of assigned budget lines for areas.
- Manages all facilities projects, serves on summer institutional planning committee, develops refurbishment plans and works in partnership with facilities project director.
- Collaborates with the Coordinator of Housing Operations to train and manage the back facing StarRez module for assignments, billing, and spring selection.
- Manages applications for exceptions to the Butler Residence Life Policy for incoming and current students.
- Manage the fall opening processes in collaboration with new student programs and welcome week and the closing of residential facilities.
- Leads the on-call rotation and work with the Dean of Students, University Police, and other campus partners in appropriate response to issues/incidents that occur in the residential facilities.
- Fulfill other general duties assigned by the Executive Director, Division of Student Affairs and/or Butler University. This position lives-on campus.
- Master's Degree required in higher education administration, student personnel or related degree
- Minimum of 4 years post mastepost-masterserience in residence life and housing
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated understanding of national best practices related to student housing/ residence life
- Competency with StarRez housing software a plus.
- Experience with risk management on a college or university campus
- Experience with assessment, strategic planning and budget development
- Demonstrated use of technology and software applications that enhances student learning and supports departmental operations
- Demonstrated understanding of student and identity development theories and their applications
- Ability to articulate the role student living and learning communities play in student success at a private liberal arts and professional studies institution
- Enthusiasm for collaboration both within Student Affairs and across the University
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple goals.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend