Current Butler students can find information regarding employment by visiting the Internship & Career Services page.
Job no: 493219
Work type: Staff Part-time
Categories: Building & Maintenance Services
This is a part-time occasional position reporting to the Director of Operations of Clowes Memorial Hall with day-to-day supervision by the Lead Custodian. The position will require evenings, weekends and holidays as dictated by the hall schedule.
The purpose of the Service Department Staff of Clowes Memorial Hall is to provide event support, custodial and maintenance services for CMH. CMH is a theatre/lecture hall/music hall/conference facility which seats up to 2,172 people, as well as auxiliary space including Krannert Room, Donor Room, Loges, Dressing Rooms, Green Room etc.
CMH operates on the average with a program every other day during the entire year; but programs frequently run twice in a day, several different programs in succession or a week at a time. Frequently the staff must be present from before 6:00 am until 12:00 midnight or after, including weekends.
Typical Light Duties
- Remove all debris and soil from seating area using straw broom, by hand or by backpack vacuum
- Using cloth or feather duster, clean all vents, hand rails, and baseboards
- Using vacuum sweeper, remove soil from all carpeted areas
- All hard floor surfaces are to be dust mopped, wet mopped, and buffed
- Remove all debris from restroom floors using a dust mop
- Empty all waste receptacles in restrooms
- Fill all paper and soap dispensers in restrooms
- Using the correct chemicals, clean all glass, stools, and sinks
- Empty all waste receptacles in dressing rooms
- Vacuum, dust mop, or wet mop dressing room floors
- Clean floor surface in all stairwells using a straw broom or vacuum
- Empty all waste receptacles in all offices
- Dust and vacuum all offices
- Collect all recycling and place in appropriate area for pick-up
- Perform minor repairs around facility
- Set up for events usually consisting of 150-200 chairs and or 20 8” tables. Tables may have to be carried up and down stairs
- Remove all snow and ice from steps and sidewalks during winter months using snow shovel and applying ice melt where necessary
- Relamp lights, approximately 1,000 in building (most of which must be reached by an eight (8) foot ladder
- Interior liner of waste receptacles are cleaned daily to remove any soil
- Using proper safety procedures, remove old finish from hard floor surfaces and apply sealer and finish annually
- All light fixtures are to be cleaned monthly or as needed
- Clean and organize all storage areas
- Wash all wood and painted walls as needed
- Clean and dust behind all seat benches
- All art collection paintings are to be dusted and cleaned weekly
- Move all furniture for receptions, dinners, and conferences as needed
- Management depends on Service Department Staff to maintain building in a continuously presentable manner without continual supervision. The members of the Service Department Staff must work long and variable hours. They must take responsibility for organizing the necessary maintenance work to fit into a schedule which is designed to benefit the building’s patrons. Unlike other custodial crews on campus the CMH staff cannot work on a fixed schedule designed to ensure efficient maintenance, but must be flexible and willing to put the benefit of the facility ahead of both personal and professional needs. This requires greater knowledge of and responsibility for the needs of a unique structure than other custodial employees at our current classification level.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.