News Content Manager
Job no: 493195
Work type: Staff Full-time
News Content Manager is a full-time staff position responsible for gathering, writing, editing, developing, and strategically sharing accurate and timely news content and information about Butler University to external and internal audiences. News Content Manager reports to the Director of Strategic Communications and works closely with Marketing and Communications colleagues to prepare written and digital content – including news releases, internal and external stories, FAQs, web communications, tip sheets – to deliver key messages to external and internal audiences.
The News Content Manager develops relationships with members of the regional, national, and international media, and regularly pitches University stories and faculty experts to them, as well as newsworthy University stories, while also responding to their requests for information. The News Content Manager interacts regularly with University deans, administrators, faculty, and students to research, gather, and develop written and digital content that advances and supports University goals and objects.
- Research, prepare, write, and develop news releases, internal stories, videos, tip sheets, and other news content about the research, programs, initiatives, faculty, staff, and students at Butler University.
- Cultivate and build strong relationships with members of the media, locally, nationally, and internationally, and pitch faculty experts, as well University research stories, newsworthy stories, initiatives, programs, to members of the media.
- Assist in the development, maintenance, and operation of Butler’s News website.
- Advise deans, administrators, faculty, and staff on public relations, media relations, internal communications, and issues-management, including how to develop and earn news stories to reach external publics.
- Assist when needed on crisis communications and issues management.
Developing mutually beneficial relationships with members of the media and reaching out to them creatively and consistently in a manner that promotes the University’s best interests and demonstrates an understanding of the media’s needs and expectations.
Researching and uncovering the most compelling stories all around Butler’s campus. Determining the most appropriate way to analyze and present University news and information related to faculty, staff, students and the University in a way that is strategic, accurate, and newsworthy.
Counseling administrators, faculty, and staff on issues and how to develop and frame their messages for internal and external media.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferred major or concentration: journalism, English, communications, or public relations.
- At least three years of experience as a professional communicator in higher-education, agency, corporate, non-profit, or news media settings.
- Experience developing content for news and web communications, researching stories, and interviewing subjects.
- Must have significant writing experience, experience with web technologies and analytics and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working strategically and independently.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend